Sunday, June 26, 2011


We woke up this morning and drove 2 hours to Chennai. That’s the closest Church. So crazy. I thought our 5 minute drive to church was long compared to the 5 second walk in Utah. I was so amazed and so happy that people would drive this far every Sunday to church. Going to church here in India, was absolutely amazing. I loved it. Sorry if a lot of this is spiritual and religious, but being around these people and getting to know them reminds me of Christ’s love. I feel so close to my Heavenly Father, and being here is such a testimony builder. First of all, our drive was so long! So bumpy and crazy. I don’t really think I will ever get used to the people and the poverty. But anyways, we arrived at our church building. It was a tall normal looking business building, were we walked in and went down kind of to the basement, where there was a big room-aka their chapel. There was a stand up front and chairs, and air conditioning! :) Which is a luxury here in India. It was such a weird feeling to be out in the hustle and bustle and craziness of India, and then walk through this door and all of a sudden its peaceful and calm. No matter where you are in the world, the church and the gospel is the same. The sacrament was passed and the talks that were given were so great. It amazes me how I can see the light of Christ in these people. There is just something special about them. Our Sunday school lesson was so good, taught by this adorable Indian woman. She went in and out of English, switching to Tomul every now and then, so I’m not sure how much I totally understood, but I can promise you the spirit and her love was so strong. Her testimony was beautiful and so simple and pure. Sometimes I think we stress ourselves out with life and our problems. I know life can be hard no matter where you are and how fortunate or unfortunate you are, but why does it have to be like that? Why do we all always notice the negatives and complain about silly things? I know sometimes I complain just because I like to complain and I like to vent. Every now and then it makes me feel better- awful I know haha but really... I think that life might be better if we all kept it simple. Seeing these people who live simple lives, inspire me to focus on the things I love and the things that mean the most to me. Kind of like spring cleaning myself. Getting rid of any unneeded junk.


It was so cool to me to sing with these people. I felt so much more united and one of them. I all of a sudden was not a tourist, or a visitor, we were all just sons and daughters of God. We all sang I am a child of God together, and in relief society we sang as sisters in zion. It was beautiful. I loved every second of it. Did I get emotional? Maybe. I mean lets be real.. I’m a Payne.

Coolest part of the day… we got to be there for a baptism! There was a lady in the ward who has a nephew going to school our there in Chennai. He had been going to church with his aunt every week and noticing the difference in their home rather than the other ones in India. He talked to the missionaries,  took the discussions and got baptized today! It was amazing. I honestly felt like I was a missionary today. It was so cool to see this baptism and to see the ceremony and the love that his family and friends had for him. He was so excited and so pure. I loved when his cousin pulled him out of the water, smiles on both of their faces, and gave him a big hug. One of those tender moments. I promise I'm not always a sap. It was just amazing to me to see how much the gospel had touched their lives, as much as it has touched mine. Having the knowledge and blessings that come from this doctrine, and what is to come after this life, makes me so grateful that I have such a strong relationship with my father in heaven.

Sorry for those who didn’t want to hear all about my religious and spiritual stuff haha I am just on a high from today- it was amazing. 




The building in the middle is the new church building being built down the street! the members of the ward are sooooo excited about it! I think it will be so good for this area, especially because they dont have a temple here in India.

baptisimal font!

relief society president

newest member :)



No comments:

Post a Comment