Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Auntie Auntie! Cycling!

Rising Stars in the making. Today I was in the school tutoring the kids in reading and writing and math. A couple of them were very eager to learn and understand, whereas a couple of them- not so much. It is very hard to get the kids motivated to read or do schoolwork when they are not excited about it. When they get frustrated, raising their confidence can be hard. But definitely doable :) I'm for sure gaining some patience from spending all this time in education. I love them though. I worked with some of the same kids from last week and its crazy how I can see improvements even from just a week. I went to have lunch with the kids in the cafeteria, and it still intrigues me watching them eat with their hands. There is a certain technique they have- I gotta learn it. SO adorable though. After school was over, we had play time with the kids. They take turns and rotate within their little family on who gets to ride the bikes. This little group of boys were all so excited. I saw all of them lined up in a line, huge smiles on their faces. "Auntie Auntie! Cycling! Come come!" After it was a mad dash to grab a bike, I went with my favorite- Khartick. I'm thinking about pulling an Angelina Jolie. Anyways, his bike chain was off so i had to help him figure it out. I could see how anxious he was, as these other boys rode off on their bikes and his wasnt working. We fixed it and then he hopped on and said "auntie help." I started helping him- thinking he would be able to do it on his own in a few minutes. nope, he definitely cant ride a bike. But he is so fearless as he just hops on and starts pedaling, needing me to hold him up. It was so fun. So cool that I could be that person for him to help him in the process of learning to ride a bike.

San Jay- I think the whole school can hear him when he reads :)





This curry is my favorite- I love when the ladies make it.

Tonight at family time, I obviously was talking to my favorite.. Ruthish. He has pretty dang good English she I talk to him about things and when there are other boys around he helps me translate. I seriously love this little boy. He is THE sweetest thing in the world. I'm not kidding, I have never met a little boy as nice as he is. He has the biggest heart in the world. He cares about everyone. This is the little boy that carries nail polish in his bag for whenever his sister wants them painted. We were talking about life, and how the cultures are different here. He told me how no one here does love marriages here and how his mom will choose a wife for him. He told me how if they kiss in public, even husband and wife, thats bad; and people will throw stones at them. He told me about the ceremonies and what they do for when someone dies and when someone gets married. Then this other younger little boy in my family came and was sitting with us. I would ask him questions, but his English isnt the best. Ruthish would help us. I asked about his family, and he told me about his 4 older sisters. After he left, Ruthish told me that his family is very poor. And that his dad has only one arm so he cant really work. He told me last time on family day, his dad only brought him a biscuit. He told me that his mom gives him a lot of things, so he shares and gives it to this boy. I just love him so much. These kids are amazing. Especially this guy. He is just a giver- a boy asked him to make a bracelet, which takes some time. I was helping him make it tonight for his friend, and he stopped what he was talking about, and looked at me and said thank you auntie carlee. Melts my heart. My other little boy, Maryadoss was talking to me for a little. I asked him if his mom and dad were coming on family day, and he said his mom is. Then he looked down and then up at me, with these unreal beautiful eyes and told me that his dad died. I just wanted to grab him and hold him in my arms. He is only 5! And Ruthish told me when he was 3, his dad died and now its only him and his mom. Oh man- these kids are stronger in some ways than me. The things they deal with in their lives seem impossible to me. I have so much respect for each and every one of them.

Maryadoss

I lost track of time because i was loving talking to these kids so much, and all the other volunteers had left. Its not a very far walk back, but the lights sometimes go on and off. The power here is sketch. But anyways I was walking back, and there were a couple of girls walking to the dining hall. I walked a little bit with them, and they asked if I was scared. They told me they were scared of snakes- so of course I started getting freaked out and hearing things. As we passed the dining hall and her and her friend turned in, I said by and started walking a little quicker. She yells to me,, "Don't be scared. God is with you." What amazing examples to me. I know its something so simple, but the fact that these children have so much faith, and love for our savior, just grows my testimony so much. The simple little statement will always stay with me. Something to never forget- "Don't be scared. God is with you."

2 comments:

  1. Carlee- This is incredible! It is so awesome that you are doing this, and what a difference you are making in these people's lives! Even after reading all of these, Im sure it must be unimaginable what is going on over there! Just totally unbelievable. This trip seems so great, I wish I was there! :)
    - Sophia Angst

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may feel you have a language barrior but believe me dear Carlee Spirit is talking to spirit and you are communicating more than you will ever know. I am learning so much about the real meaning of the gospel and the importance of service because of your experience in India. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete