Thursday, June 23, 2011

A day full of those moments.


Today was honestly the best day of my life. I am not exaggerating either. Literally an absolutely amazing day. One of those days I will remember for the rest of my life. Oh man I cant even put it into words.. But I will try.

Okay so I woke up this morning and went for a run. There is a little track here that the students have to run around during play time if they get an X in school. So I ran around there for a bit this morning- trying to just stay alive in this crazy heat and humidity. After my run, I went to the roof where the dance teacher teaches yoga. Beautiful morning with the sun rising and palm trees around us. Times like that where I still cant believe I am in India. After yoga, I went and took a shower. Well tried. I was so sweaty, so a shower was a must, and I went to the bathroom to take my bucket shower but the girls said the water was not working so I tried to turn it and it poured out for about 20 seconds, if that. I had not even ½ a gallon of water in this bucket, and seriously.. I had to shower. So I used that water like I was in the middle of the desert, stranded for months. I poured a tiny on my head at a time, mixing in a little shampoo and conditioner and soap on my body. Somehow I did it. So proud. Man if I could take those showers at home, I’d save so much time and so much money. Anyways, after my “shower” I went to make a little breakfast and pack a lunch because I was off to go do medical today!

The medical part of Rising Star, brings the medical necessities to the Leprosy patients in the colony. We drove about 45 minutes where little did I know, my life was about to be changed. Driving there, I didn’t really know what to expect. I knew it might be a little gross, a little sad, and basically an emotional roller coaster. We arrived, and I was assigned to be the bandage cutter. I had to cut the bandages off the people with these open sores and find any other ones for us to document. I sat down with my gloves, and my mask, waiting for my first patient. It’s weird because all of a sudden, I turned on a switch. I wasn’t grossed out by any of these sores. I would think that the smell or puss would make me sick, or seeing this raw flesh would make me not want to touch it, but I never once thought twice. To see all the other volunteers the same way was crazy. People were just diving into it, wanting to help in any way that they could. I wanted to just help them and do as much as I could for them. I felt like I couldn’t do enough to help them. I wanted to do so much more, and it was hard to know that not only me, but no one could do much more. This was the hand that they had been dealt, and this is what they have to work with. It was heartbreaking. When I think about things in my life, and just the family I was born into and the life I had pretty much set before I even began living, it gets to me and I don’t get why I am so lucky. These families really have no choice then to live like this. In America, those who are homeless, have the opportunity to get themselves together and search for a job. Here in India, If you have Leprosy, you are cursed and looked down upon. People will not give them jobs, and will not give them any respect. This is why we give their children an education. If their kids were to stay living with them in the colony, they would contract Leprosy and end up living this life like their parents.

Being with the people in this colony, I felt the spirit probably stronger than I have ever felt in my life. This one man who is the barber of the colony, was so smiley and happy. He walked up and says Vannacum, (meaning hello) and sits down with a smile on his face. He slips off his sandals and lifts up his leg. Some of the patients I dealt with had deformed faces, hands, and feet. His face was completely fine, hands pretty much normal, so Im thinking this one wont be too bad. As I am unraveling the bandages, I uncover his sores. On both feet, from a few inches above his ankle and down, zero skin. None. Raw flesh. It was oozing and smelly but I kept unwrapping them, wishing it would all just go away. At that time I lost in and tears just started coming. I tried to not let him see I was crying. I looked up at him and he had the biggest smile on his face. He was so grateful for the service we were giving. Another little lady with glasses will always remain as this happy loving one toothed face in my head. She was so grateful to all of us and she was just so happy for the things she had. I went to talk to her after treating her and she just grabbed my face and started saying something that I didn’t understand. She brought me close to her and smiled and giggled and I could just feel her love. She then started praying and although I couldn’t understand any of it, I new more than anything that the Lord loved this woman. That He loves all of these people. That He would never give this to them as a curse or because He didn’t love them; although we may not understand or know the plan, I know he has one.

Being with these people was honestly an experience I will remember for the rest of my life. The things we complain about or worry about in this life, seem absolutely ridiculous after going to the colony. I have so much love for these people and I am so blessed to be able to meet each and every one of them.

This is the first colony that Rising star began to help. Since our program has started, this colony can thrive on its own. A lot of them have their own little businesses, where they can do micro loans to help them get started. There is a barber, a carpenter, and so much more. We got the chance to go into the Bindu School of Art, where the leprosy afflicted people sell their paintings. Of course I had to buy a few. Some of the artists were there and the look on their face when I told them i wanted to buy their painting is one that will be engrained in my memory forever.

After we got back we played soccer with all the other volunteers in the rain! It was so fun! The rain felt amazing in the country that might as well be inside an oven. Later we each split up to teach the kids a different talent so I played some more soccer with them. So much fun. Then we went to the dance class, where the students performed their dance for us. It was amazing. It brought me to tears. These kids learned this interpretive dance, and they were all so passionate about what they were doing.  We then had dinner on banana leaves and sunset. Life couldn’t really get much better. I then went to the hostels to tuck in my “family.”

The entire time I talked to Ruthish. He is amazing. This kid is 9 years old and I have learned so much from him. He speaks Tomul, but he has really good English.  When youre with these kids in a group, they are crazy and just want to play and scream and take pictures. But when you are one on one with them, they open up and you learn SOOO much about them as people. Ruthish has one older sister, and one little sister, as well as a mom and dad. His grandma lives in the same colony as his parents and he told me her legs and arms had to be amputated. He told me ‘mom is ok, but she has head pain’ and her dad and grandpa go work so they can feed them vegetables. They paint. He told me when his sister was in the hospital, she was a new born laying on the bed. When a snake bit the side of her face, and now she has a huge black scar and she cant see out of that eye. Then he says ‘I pray for her everyday. And for the doctors to help.’ Sometimes I have to hold myself back from just grabbing him and holding him and telling him things will be okay and that he has a Heavenly Father who loves Him and loves His family. I asked him about the things He wanted to do in this life. He told me the one thing he wants to do, is to watch the airplane land on the road. He says he sees them all flying in the air and he wants to watch one land. What a simple thing- but yet so huge for him. I asked him what he wanted to be when he was older, and he said he wants to be in the Indian military. He said if he ever gets to go to America, that he would open a business. I asked him what kind and he said he would sell shoes or dresses, and then he added “I would give all the money I have to my parents in India. And they would be able to have a business and make money.” He is obviously still a little kid and was able to keep me laughing when he then told me that he would have lots of treasure and be the king of the world. But those tender moments like that is what is amazing in this life. Moments like today.

Today was honestly the most amazing day. The people I got to share it with were so great. I think you never really do things on accident in this life. I think I was meant to come on this session to meet these people. They have touched me in ways that they will never know. I have made so many great friendships while being here. I am just on such a high right now because of this day that I had. I wish all of you could be here with me experiencing it all. I hope you can get a little bit by reading and seeing pictures. 





















Ruthish! This kid is amazing. And he bought this choose the right ring at the schools star store.

3 comments:

  1. Carlee! Your blog is amazing. Reading about the experiences you are having in India and the impact you are having on these children is very inspiring. It is such an amazing thing that you are doing and can't wait to read your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving sharing this great experience with you. Thanks for the posts and letting me have the opportunity to be part, in a small way, of this journey. My life, too has changed and will never be the same - thanks to you for sharing and for taking this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carlee,
    I am so happy that Aunt Lu told me about your blog! What an amazing experience! I have been touched as I have read about your service and I have loved your spiritual insight. Last Sunday I taught a lesson about thinking outside the box as we give service--you are outside the box! Can't wait to read more. . . enjoy every minute!
    Kim Olsen (Utah cousin)

    ReplyDelete