Friday, June 24, 2011

Happiness is a choice.

Have I mentioned that I love India yet? Because I'm slightly obsessed. This place is unreal. It is beautiful in its own special way. This morning we woke up early and all went for a walk in the village outside of the school. It looks like I'm walking through a national geographic magazine. But seriously. Its so so cool. The way this little community works and how people live. It is crazy to actually get out of the states and live somewhere like this. To actually be a part of it and live among them. I love it. There was this dad in the village, who wanted his picture taken. So he gathered his family, and stood there holding his sons. Then as soon as I took the picture he would run over with a huge smile on his face to look at the picture. Then he showed his whole family. I could see how proud he was of them and feel his love. It is amazing to me the bonds people have out here. They are so friendly and loving to everyone.

Each family in the leprosy colony are allowed to send 2 kids to the school (until we get enough room/teachers to expand). It is sad for the children to leave and sad for the parents to send them, but it truly is the best thing for the kids. The best thing that has ever happened to these children would be being born in to a leprosy family. They have this amazing opportunity that most of india will never have. It was hard though to see Theethee's mom in the colony. She is absolutely beautiful. Stunning. And only has one sore on her foot- but still has leprosy. When I was doing medical yesterday, she asked if I knew her daughter. I had actually tutored her daughter in math the day before! Crazy how that works out. I told her that her daughter was beautiful and very smart. She smiled so big, and without even saying any words, I knew she was so proud of her.

Ruthish, the 9 year old in my little "family" has a little sister that goes to this school. He is so loving and protective of her. When I was talking to him tonight, all of a sudden he grabs my hand and looks at my fingers. He asks if I want paint. Then he runs to his backpack and pulls out a little bottle of nail polish. I sit down and he begins to paint my nails. Again, another one of those tender moments. I asked him where he got it and why he has it. He told me he brought it from home and he uses it to paint his little sisters nails for her. Is that not the sweetest thing you have ever heard. I am about ready to adopt. Him and his little sister, oh and maybe EVERY single one of these children. I love them all so much.

I got to read with the kids today at school. I helped 5 kids with reading and got to see each of them succeed and struggle. It truly is so hard to see them lose their confidence in themselves. But they are doing so well and growing so much. I see progress in each of them even from the beginning to end of our 20 minute session. After school, there was a party in the concert hall. All it took was balloons. I have never seen such a simple thing entertain anyone so much. I mean balloons! They went nuts. It looked like when I stepped in an ant hole yesterday. Insane. But we had music going and the kids were dancing and smiling and having an amazing time. I loved dancing with them and seeing all of their personalities shine through. It amazes me that all of them are the same but yet SOOO different. One guy was just bustin a move in the middle. I started to think about happiness and what makes someone happy.

Being here in India, around these people, I have witnessed true happiness. I have witnessed the lowest of lows and the highest of highs. I have seen pure pain and suffering, but yet in the same people, I have seen happiness and joy. Happiness is a choice. It doesn't matter how much we have, or what circumstances we're living in. If you want to be happy- you can be happy. I think that is the most powerful and most simple message in the world. If you want to be happy, do it. And if you don't know what happiness looks like.. keep scrolling down.


























Basha and his sister Maryambi. Cuties.






End the day dancing in the rain? Don't mind if I do.

2 comments:

  1. We love your posts and all of the pictures! You truly are an inspiration to us all. Thank you so much for sharing your experience!! Love, the Henderson's

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so good to see you on Skype tonight. You look wonderful - so sweet and so full of the spirit. Wonderful to share your Sabbath Day expereinces.

    ReplyDelete