Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I am not Mother Teresa, I am a Latter Day Saint.

Sooo today i spent the entire day at the hospital here in india. All day, in an Indian hospital. Mom and dad- before you book a flight to come find me, it wasnt for me haha We took a few of the leprosy patients with us to the hospital, as well as 3 of the kids. It was definitely a different experience. The hospitals here are CRAZY! seriously, I was in awe. It took us 2 hours to get there, but kim said that this is one of the nicest in India. Lets just say in the U.S., this would have been shut down within a day. So unsanitary. I cant even describe how I felt here. The area around the hospital was pretty nice, well for india. But the second I walked in the doors, I felt like I was going to contract some disease. There were people everywhere. People sleeping on the ground, on the chairs, screaming babies, all kinds of people. And I thought I disliked hospitals at home. Pshhh. They are like a 5 star resort compared to this place. Anyways, Erica and I were assigned to take Challen around to the places in the hospital he needed to go. Challen is a leprosy afflicted man, who is 70 years old. Since there is absolutely no organization in the hospitals here- people already get pushed aside and not looked at. When someone with leprosy comes in, the chances of them being seen is slim to none. So we are in charge of taking them to where they need to go and making sure they are given the treatment you need. White people definitely get the attention needed around here, and surprisingly we are listened to as well. We took him to the eye doctor. I was thinking he was just needing a check-up.. but I was wrong. We went to check his eye sight and then we took him to the other doctor to look at his eyes. I felt like a mom, bringing my child through the hospital. I was worried about him as I sat in the waiting room. This feeling of responsibility is a different feeling for me- considering I've always only had to look after myself. He went to see the other doctor, who examined his eyes. She called me into the room after she was done, and told me he needed surgery. She told me his left eye was so bad, pretty much blind- and his right eye was very poor as well. This man who wears these glasses, is already infected with this leprosy disease- and has to deal with awful eyesight as well. She told me how much the surgery would be, and what he would have to do if he wanted to get it done. I asked her to ask him if he wanted the surgery, and he told her that he does not have the money to pay for it. For caderac surgery, it would cost 3,500 rupees- which is about 70 dollars. For Laser surgery it is about 15,000 rupees. It hit me right there. Me, this little white girl from California, was over here in India with Challen at the hospital, being told that he doesnt have enough money to pay to see. I didnt know how to feel- knowing I have enough money in my backpack right then to pay for the surgery. It makes things I do and have seen so unneeded. I may not be buying souveneirs here- I am honestly thinking about buying his surgery. I am going to talk to the coordinator here and see if I can do that. It makes me appreciate our hospitals and our medical care so much more. It seems silly now when I go to the doctor with a common cold, and drop money on medicine that day. I know thats just how the states are, but it is humbling to see how other cultures work. We are so blessed and so lucky for those things we have.


Suta, a little girl here at rising star, 5 years old- and the most adorable little thing ever.  A white patch was found on her leg, which is a sign of leprosy. She came with us, so the hospital can start her on medicine and keep the disease from spreading. She was so scared- especially when she had to get a skin biopsy. She cried and cried, but later showed us how brave she was with her bandaged up knee. This just broke my heart- that this little girl had to go through this. She is always so happy and bubbly on the playground, but at the hospital she was timid and scared.


One of my biggest frustration out here is the language barrier. I seriously get so frustrated that I cant understand him and he cant understand me. I just want to talk to him- pick his brain, and hear his life story. I want to know everything and its so annoying to not be able to. I can get as far as his name, and how many family members he has. It is so hard. Anyways, we went to get his blood drawn. Talk about unsanitary. This place is crazy. There is no way I would ever let one of these people stick a needle in me- in these conditions. But after getting his blood drawn, he insisted that it was time for lunch. We followed him out and sat on the curb. He pulls out this little lunch that he made- some kind of Indian food. He offered like half of his food to me. He was the sweetest man. Then this little girl walks up with her mom, begging for money and food. They walked away, and then the girl came back- Challen gave her a huge portion of his food. I just sat there, amazed at this situation. This man, has been shunned into this colony, can barely see, and he gives away his food to the people around him. This unselfish christ-like love is what makes the world a better place. What I learned today was this- when you have a lot, give a lot. When you don't have a lot, give a lot. Serving others is the most rewarding thing. If there is ever a time in your life when things are hard or dont feel right- go serve someone. 


My dad emailed me today reminding me, "By small and simple things are great things brought to pass". Ive been really thinking about this today, as I helped these people in the hospital. Sometimes I feel like there are so many people here to help, and so much to do- that I feel like I am not making a difference. I sometimes think about if I hadnt have come, what it would be like. And unfortunately- it probably would be the exact same. I actually know for sure it would be the exact same. But those small things make all the difference. Smiling at people on the street, keeping challen company, Keeping suta not afraid.. it all adds up. Just us helping him in the hospital helps to break the stigma that leprosy is bad and evil and a curse. We are making a difference. The people in the hospital love love love pictures more than anything. I walk around with my camera, and all these people come up making the hand gesture for a picture. I take one, and then show them. It's like a kid in a candy store. I have never seen a person light up so much when seeing a picture of themselves. Although I may not be changing the world- I am making a difference. If I was able to make one persons day a little brighter- then I did my job. I will not single handedly cure leprosy in these colonies- but being there to help and do what I can will help. I encourage whoever is reading this to go out and serve others. It obviously doesn't have to involve a trip to India, but just remember the small and simple things. Whether its smiling at a stranger, holding the door open for someone, or just being there as a friend. I dont think we realize how much other people around us need us. We are human- and we cant do it alone. We need eachother in our lives- so reach out of your box, and do something for someone else. None of us are perfect, not even close. I may not change the world, but I can make it a better place. I can make one person a little happier each day. I can make a difference. I am not Mother Teresa, but I am a Latter Day Saint







By far the nicest grocery store around...

I have a million bug bites on my arm. erica played connect the dots.








chellan

this guy was absurd. he had me going around basically the whole hospital taking pictures of all his friends and all his co workers.





this was like the cafeteria.....





they insisted on putting one on me :) 

adorable little suta

poor thing.. skin biopsy :(




check out this attitude 
he wanted to carry it around for me

love





1 comment: