Monday, June 27, 2011

brick by brick

Soooo this morning I woke up and went for a run! it was.. hot. and then i skyped the fam! it was so great to see all their faces! I miss seeing a familiar face. It was fun. Then my group was doing construction today. All i gotta say is that i am learning hard work in a serious way. We go into the leprosy colony, and help them with labor work. All day today I was moving cinder blocks and bricks all over the colony. We had to load and unload this truck. Which took forever, and a lot of hard work considering there was a huge pile of bricks. We loaded up the truck, drove it somewhere and unloaded them. We were thinking we were done, ready to sit and have some water. Until the head construction guy told us we had to do the same for another pile. For a split second the thought came into my mind to run and hide somewhere. Buuuuut I didnt. I worked hard. And I sweat in places I didn't know could sweat. I also think there was dirt in every single one of my pores. Not the most pleasant feeling. But there is something pretty cool about manual labor, and working together with a group to get something done. Especially when you are doing that something to help someone else. There was this old man, who just smiled and watched us walk back and forth as we carried these huge blocks. The reason we are bringing all these blocks and bricks to the colony is to build bathrooms. They will not be the same bathrooms that you and I have. But as of right now, they are just going beside their house, or they find a field or something to go in. Instead, we are helping to build bathrooms for each one of the homes. It's hard too because the people who deliver all of the blocks and bricks to the colony drop it off outside of the colony, because they don't want to go inside. They are still treating these people like a different species. It is so sad. But yeah so all day I was able to work with these people, and help work towards making the colony a better, more sanitary place. One of the hardest things I've done. All I got to say is Jen and Coach- I'm lifting some hard core weights out here. I'm thinkin about writing a fitness book or something- called gettin ripped, brick by brick. Best seller? I think so.

Today I learned to be grateful for hard times. It was a hard hard day, but in those hard times I learn about myself and about others. I am reminded of all the good things I have. Those good things are that much better after. So dirty and sweaty, and then I was able to take a nice shower when I got home. I have taken a bucket shower everyday out here- but this one felt like heaven. Its showering out of a bucket- but I felt like I was in a five star hotel. Being surrounded by hard work makes me appreciate the little things. like a bucket shower. or a cold water. Or the bathrooms we have, so we dont have to build one in our backyard. I tried to not complain today. It felt good. I felt like I was able to work harder, and find the positive in what I was doing. Seeing the gratitude on these peoples faces made it worth it too.


On our way back we got ice cold water from this little market. The little wonders of the world. I'd kill for a cup of ice. I've been craving ice since I landed in the Delhi airport. Its funny what things you miss when being out here. As nice as it is to not have to do my hair or makeup at all.. getting ready doesnt sound too bad. having American food- oh man. Yum. Anyways, I am loving it here! The rice and curry is still very tasty. :) We had play time with the kids- they all just melt my heart everyday. They are the sweetest kids, who are just happy to be living in the moment. I think we can all learn from them. I played with some of my little boys, and then one of the older girls told me she wanted to do my hair. I'm just glad I washed my hair with the lice preventative shampoo. She takes out her comb and her clips- you just cant quite trust that. Then she got me all braided up and stuck flowers in my hair. Its crazy how good they all at doing hair. Then later, after dinner, we went back to the kids hostel. And I talked to a couple of the older boys for a littler. They asked me about American sports. They had never watched a football game- except seen it in movies. He has watched a couple NBA games, and heard of baseball. He has never heard of lacross or rugby or a couple other things. It was cool to talk to him about the differences. He wants to try other American food- but has tried pizza before. The 16 year old boys want to be a police, and an auditor. It's cool to hear about their goals and aspirations. It just breaks my heart to think that most of these kids will not reach their goals. It reminds me of how lucky we are to live in a place where we have opportunities, and we are able to accomplish most things that we want to accomplish. It makes me rethink my over stressful attitude about schooling and my career. Even though I don't know what I want to major in or do with my life, I have choices. I am in a university with tons of opportunities to become whatever I want to become. Arranged marriages are common here in India. They call it a "love marriage" when the woman or man picks her spouse. Most of the time they have no choice. Even though I don't know exactly what it is I will be doing in 5 years- I know how lucky I am to be able to choose. I can choose my future. I can choose what I want to be doing. A lot of these kids don't have a lot of decisions to make- they are limited. Limited because they live in India. Limited because they are born into a Leprosy afflicted family. Limited because of financial reasons, health reasons, or cultural reasons. When decisions are stressful, always remember how lucky you are to have that freedom to choose.













There is something about these kids and eating mangos that just gets me. They are seriously amazing. I swear they all took modeling classes in the preexistence. Why are they all so dang gorgeous?! I don't understand.





















2 comments:

  1. Carlee you are a stud. Your mom told me about your blog yesterday and I just spent the last hour or so reading all of your post. What an amazing experience you are having. It will change your life for the better. I love you. You are a choice daughter of God. Thank you for helping those kids and people feel the love that God does have for them. You are being a ministering angel to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What an incredible blessing to have this experience with these beautiful people in a very unique culture. I know your capacity to love will grow and your compassion to assist those in need will intensify. My prayers are with you girl. You are a wonderful example to me of someone who stops to smell the roses. My prayers are with you Carlee. Tom

    ReplyDelete