Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Hello from India!!! :)

Sorry I haven't put more posts on this thing! The past two days we haven't had internet connection but we had a man here on campus come and fix it so it works now! So you are finally hearing from me! Those who thought I had been kidnapped and killed on the streets of India- well youre wrong. I am safe and sound! Soo real quick I'll talk about our little adventure getting here. I flew from salt lake to chicago, and then had a layover in chicago where we exchanged some of our money to rupees. Then boarded on to our 15 hour flight to Delhi! Can I just say, me and my blonde hair stuck out like a sore thumb. That saying doesnt even do it justice. A sore thumb is only one in ten that doesnt belong, I was one in a whole plane ride. Anyways, the flight was, well long. I slept, read my book, read 3 magazines, slept some more, ate, listened to music, slept, and walked around the plane. My friend erica and I talked to this guy for hours. He was the most wise man I have ever met. He knew things about everything and was so peaceful in his natural lifestyle. He studies yoga and meditation. After a long discussion on life and his philosophies, I told him he should write a book! He told me he already has one out. I asked where I could get it and he said barnes and noble, or amazon. I was surprised and told him he was famous. And then later he told me that he has worked with Ellen Degeneres, and been on her show. As well as Doctor Oz. Pretty cool stuff. Anyways I really liked his opinion on positive energy. He talked about being open and not forming an opinion, and to never judge others. Yogi Cameron says that the most important thing in life is to find your purpose and put everything you have into that. 


Okay so once we landed in Delhi, we had to run to get our bags, go through custom, and get in line to check in and go through security again! We got to the front of the line, and the lady said we missed out flight! We told her we had to be there so they could pick us up and she said she didnt care. Soooo we set off to find someone who did care. This man helped us get on a plane and finally arrive in Chennai. It was insane! We landed and had to get a taxi to our hotel. These taxis were so rad. The drivers were rad, if you are into near death experiences. Imagine new york taxi drivers on steroids, and then some. The city is crazy- it was like 1:00am and there were tons of people (and cows) everywhere. We got to our hotel, checked in, and passed out. One heck of a day.



The next day was when the people from rising star picked us up. We got into our bus and head out for the place we will be staying at. Driving there was such a cool experience. There were so many things to look at just soak in. People EVERYWHERE, no laws on driving- its like the lines didnt even exist. All the drivers do is honk at each other. People walking with buckets on their heads, peeing on the side of the street, sleeping on bricks. I felt like I was in a movie. Then we arrived and met for a little bit, and then went to meet the kids! oh my goodness, hands down, best part so far. These kids are to die for. They are seriously adorable. All they want to do is play with you. None of them are shy. They all are so open and want to know your name and want to immediately play games with you. I was shocked at how excited and unafraid they were to just come up to me. There is this one little boy who is 5, named Khartick. He wouldn’t let go of my hand and asked me all the time to go swing, or watch him on the slide or help him with the monkey bars. All the little kids call you auntie and uncle. When they want your attention, they all just yell “auntie auntie!” 


For dinner, we eat rice and this curry sauce with vegetables in it- surprisingly really good! A little spicy. We also had amazing mangos! This place is surrounded by mango trees. So awesome. We ate all this on a banana leaf- on the roof, watching the sunset. In India. Absolutely unreal. We all went around and told what were our highs and lows of the day and talked about our experiences.




Right after dinner, we go back to the kids hostels and we helped them with their homework, read stories to them, played games, and got to know them. We are all separated into a little family, so it is me and about 6 other volunteers, with about 20-25 kids in our family. I played with this little boy named Ruthish. He is 9 and he can read so well! I helped him with math and then we read a story together, taking turns who reads. Then he did a magic trick on me and I taught him a game. He loved it. Just laughed and laughed. Then he tried to teach me some words in Hindi. I think he was getting a little frustrated with me. He grabbed my hands and started asking me where I got my rings, and I told him from my mom and my friend. He asked me their names and how many siblings I have. He was so interested in my life- I remind you he is 9. Then I asked him about his. He has 2 older siblings, a brother and a sister. His brother goes to a different hostel or school, and his sister sometimes goes to that same one and sometimes stays home. I asked him if he ever saw them and he said not really. Broke my heart. This little boy is away from his mom and dad and siblings, and sees them maybe once a month. The thing is though this is by far the best thing for him. He is out of the leprosy colony, away from begging- learning English and how to read and write.  After we put them to bed (onto the rock hard ground) we went back and I took my first bucket shower!  So exciting. I also squatted to pee in a hole. Too much information? Well that’s India. Get used to it.



 
Okay here are some pictures I have taken so far! The kids LOVE pictures. They love to be in them but they more love to take them. When my camera is around my neck, these little kids are just screaming and grabbing at my camera. Their hands are all over it pushing buttons and trying to take it away from me. Considering my camera is my baby, I have a mini heart attack every time.











is he not the cutest thing youve ever seen?




Ruthish wanted to draw me :)

im in love



We havent even made it to the colony yet and i am already having an experience of a lifetime! These kids have already changed my life. Thank you for following! :)

1 comment:

  1. Carlee you are amazing!! We are quite sure that you were the most beautiful sore thumb there ever was on that airplane! :) What adorable kids you get to work with! And they are so lucky to get to know you and be loved by you. We are looking forward to your next post!

    Love, The Henderson's

    ReplyDelete