Saturday, June 25, 2011

beauty



What a wonderful day here in india. We were a little bit of tourists today! We woke up this morning, had some breakfast and hopped into the vans. Took the longggg bumpy drive to  the city, where there are some awesome Indian ruins. We walked around there for a little and did some shopping! First of all, have I told ya'll how I stick out like a sore thumb here? Well, today, I realized how much I stick out. Not only do we get so many stares here, but multiple people came up to me asking if they could take a picture of me. Some asked to take one with me, but others just of me. Thats normal right? what have they never seen a blonde before! come on people haha these people here for a kung fu tournament or something asked to take a picture with us and then taught us a fighting move to take in the picture. It was awesome. Anyways, we shopped a little bit in these hole in the wall shops. I thought mexico or the bahamas was bad with people all over you trying to get you to buy things. That was nothing compared to this. Seriously they would not leave you alone- they get all up in your face and wont stop until you buy something. It's almost like the word no doesnt exist in their vocabulary. Sooooo to my lovely fam- you might be getting some extra souvenirs that I was not intending on buying. :) things here are pretty dang cheap though. Its so crazy. But there were some cool things to look at and interesting people. Erica and I went and explored and found this amazing lilly pond. It was sooo exotic. 

After we left this town we went to the beach!!! It was beautiful! This was the first time since ive been in India, wehre I have actually felt relaxed. Every where else I feel a little overwhelmed. Overwhelmed by how many people there are, how much garbage there is, how much poverty, and how many people need help- and how little I can do. This feeling of stress finally left for a little. It was so awesome to be at the beach, in the ocean, in INDIA! can you believe that? I'm in India! A few times today it just hit me. Everything here still amazes me. I am still shocked in a lot of the things I am seeing. Its unreal. The beach was nice, we went to Ideal resort. It was cool. Walked down the ocean side seeing the difference in this beach from any other one that I have been to. Very very cool. After the beach, we went to this place to get food. People who have been raved about their food, so I'm thinkin a pretty nicer place. nooooope. not at all. we pull up, garbage evvvverywhere- more flys than i have ever seen in my life, and sweaty indian men cooking the food. I'm normally okay when it comes to germs, but when it has to do with my food- I dont think so. I kind of maybe a little bit freak out. I ate it, and I probably would have loved it if i was in an air conditioned flyless area. But the fact that I can see how my food is being prepared.. a little sketch. The guy serving literally picked up my food and had it between his hands, and he puts it back on my plate. I didnt even touch it. I probably sound like a little bit of a snob, but thats one thing i cant really do haha but on the pluss side, my meal costed me 20 rupees. Which equals less than 50 cents in american money. When have you ever heard about a 40 cent dinner? Impressive huh? 


We came back and had movie night with the kids! It was so much fun. They were all just mezmorized watching this big projection onto the wall. They loved it. They never get to watch TV, so I cant even imagine what a treat this is for them.Things like that people in the U.S. take for granted. no one knows a life without tv and cell phones and internet. I understand that if you are raised like this than you dont know any better, but its just crazy how these people live such a different life. It was adorable to have all the kids just cuddling and wanting to lay on me during the movie. My little girl asked for a back scratch the whole time too. Sounds like something I'd make my mom do :) They just love that human touch and bond and are missing it with not having their parents. Being out on the streets today I realized even more how lucky these kids are to be born into a leprosy family. There were a few kids that came up to me begging or just trying to sell me something. They were trained to say that they were hungry and needed money for their sister. It's hard to see this and know that this is the life they are living. It breaks my heart. Coming back to the school made me realize how little we are in this world. Just because here I am, in India, at this school with a ton of little kids, and we drive a little out of the city and there are tons more people and tons more things to look at and do. But then you hop on a plane and fly back to soooo many other people and jobs and cars and life. It made me think about my life and how I am put here on earth to find my purpose. I may not know what my purpose is right now, but I know that it is my decision to be happy with whatever I am doing. It is up to me to always be humble, and grateful, and loving. Having this enormous cultural shock has made me see the world in a totally different view. I have seen our society in a completely different way, because I've been living in this society. Just never forget to be thankful for all that you have. Express your appreciation, and notice all of your blessings around you. When doing so, you will see the beauty in everything. I have learned to see all of the beauty in India. Obviously there is beauty in much of the land, and in all of the people. But the craziness and poverty can have its beauty as well. Choose to look for the beauty in all things and live that happy positive life that we all deserve.










notice the cows on the beach. thats normal right?




the five star restaurant we ate at.

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing journey. Thanks for letting me be a small part of it with you. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and your feelings along with your activities. My life is changing because of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... I don't think they take your picture because you and your friend are blonde. I think it's because you look like American movie stars: Blonde, young and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete