Wednesday, June 22, 2011

reading and writing and arithmetic.


What a day here in India! These people are amazing. If you ever feel like you want to do something like this in your life, do it! I highly encourage you to go somewhere foreign, out of your comfort zone. It is the best experience in the world. Today I had the opportunity to teach little kids english. I went into the school and taught them how to pronounce certain words and read story after story. Every 20 minutes we had a new little kid rotated to us to teach them English. Then after lunch we had 40 minute sessions of math. These kids are so great. Some struggle with their english and reading and writing. Others catch on pretty quick. I've noticed that the older ones struggle more than the younger ones. It's because this program started when those kids were a little older, so they missed out on the crucial learning stage of life. It's so sad how education is taken for granted in America. Every child gets that opportunity to go to school in the U.S. But here its a luxury. If you have an education, and you know English, you are extremely more likely to succeed. It's crazy how lucky we are. How from the time we were little tiny kids we were going to school and learning math and english. I never can remember it being hard for me. Hard as in I really struggle, not as in I can't remember a dumb math equation. Speaking of math.... I did not miss those days. Im so glad college doesn't require math. Holy smokes. Doing 2 hours of math today gave me a headache. Forget about the screaming children and the 100 degree weather- Math will do it to ya. Annnnyways teaching and tutoring was fun! The only part that truly broke my heart was when these kids would lose confidence in themselves. I play on the playground and watch these kids smiling and crazy so thats how I know them. But it hurts me inside to watch them go from smiling and confident, to frustrated in themselves. These kids start to believe that they are dumb. "Auntie too hard..." I did my best to build up their confidence and convince them that they can do it. Watching them succeed was so worth it. After they would finish the story, or complete the math problem, they would look up with me with bright wide eyes waiting to see what I'd say. When I smiled and told them good job and how smart they were they had the biggest smile on their face. So proud of themselves. Oh man, that look itself is worth the trip to India







she walked up to me, opened her pencil case, and before she sat down or said a word, she pulled out a sticker and put it on my forehead. Dot.

We ate lunch with the kids as they scooped up the rice and curry with their fingers. I swear these kids must have incredible immune systems. If a little American boy hung out with these kids and did the exact same things as them, they would be in the hospital within a week. So crazy. Then after tutoring we had play time with the kids and I played soccer with them! So much fun! I seriously was having a blast. I love how excited they get and how much they love the game. There are a couple volunteer guys who knew I play soccer (thank you elizabeth lambert) and they told the kids that I am professional and play on TV. haha so the kids all love that and they tell all of their little friends. I tell them no im not and they just believe the boys. But it really was a blast. I love that soccer is the same everywhere. No matter how rich, how poor, how hot/cold, what language you speak, you can always grab a ball, have two goals, and just play. I love it.



Crazy how fast you make friends out here! I love this lady!







1 comment:

  1. I love your blog! You will grow so much as a human over this time period. Compassion, work ethic, Enlightenment, Spiritually, Intellectually, Emotionally. Have fun! I love the soccer pictures - you rock! I do notice no young girls out there. Hopefully you will inspire the girls and show the boys that anyone can do anything!

    ReplyDelete