Tuesday, July 5, 2011

In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

1,700 bricks. We moved 1,700 bricks today. 1,700. Oh man, thats a whole lot of bricks. It can be so exhausting out here. I feel like working hard like that is good for the soul. I know I basically sit on here and tell you how amazing India is and how much I love it- and trust me I do. But some days can be hard and long and mentally/physically draining. I was so tired this morning, and for those who know me well know that I am not the funnest person when I'm tired. I am not tooooo much of a grump, I am just quiet. So this morning and through some of construction I was a little silent and just thinking to myself about everything. I've been thinking about ways to focus on the present and not so much worrying about the future. Just to enjoy every little thing that I do. I think its important for people to remember to stop and smell the roses- or the bricks. But I mean it's important to live in the now. To stop that habit of just going through the motions. I realized today too its also important to be able to assess certain situations and try to make them better. Today, I basically am half way around the world to move bricks. It definitely can be rewarding, but at times I feel like I am doing something that is not effective. There are times when I take a look around me at ALL that needs to be done to this country, and I feel overwhelmed. I feel like moving these bricks isn't doing anything for this country. I started thinking about service and helping others. It's amazing how much you learn about yourself when serving others. There is so much to be done in the colony that I am working in, and it's hard to find a place to start. I was just thinking about how small I feel in this place and wonder if I am really making a difference. This is a stretch but just bare with me. I have like 11 mosquito bites on my arm, and I was itching them on the way home from construction haha but I was just thinking about this one mosquito, and how much it affected me. This one mosquito caught all my attention and focus on my arm. Even if it were to only bite me once- I still notice. I was just thinking about that and how I can make a difference. How even if I help one person, I am still helping. The little things people do get noticed. Even if you feel like it's not- someone notices. You can make a difference in someones life.
In a gentle way, you can shake the world. -Gandhi


Sorry all of these just turn into me preaching about whatever was on my mind that day. This is basically my journal so I just write what I am thinking. But after construction I took an amazing shower and nap. Can I just say that no matter where I am or what I'm doing- naps are always going to be one of my favorite things in the world. Anyways we then had play time with the kids! I got to play with little Khartick the whole time. At family time I played tick tack toe with some of the boys. Have you ever played tick tack toe for an hour and a half straight? oh man- I think I know all of the tricks in the book by now. I have seriously grown to love these kids so much. I love all of them. There are a few that I have especially clicked with and when I was looking at them today I thought about how much they have changed me and how much I am going to miss them. It's crazy how much love I can have for them in such a short period of time. 

Being out here, one of the most important things that I have learned and that I want to take back with me is simplicity. These people live such simple lives, and I think it is a good thing to be able to notice that and change parts of my life. Being able to come out here for 3 weeks is awesome because I am able to take a step back from my life and evaluate the things I do and don't do. Figure out what I want to fix. I think one of the main things I have noticed is to simplify. I want to live a more simple, stress-free life. Being out here has made me question why I ever stress or worry about anything. It's life. I just want to be able to live my life happy and stress-free. I am so grateful for this opportunity and this life changing experience. I LOVE India.






punks



No comments:

Post a Comment